Monday, May 7, 2012 - 10:00


Although, traces of past civilizations(Tossal, Benicató, Alcúdia, Torre Motxa, Santa Bàrbara)are found inside the area of Nules Castle, until 1178 it was not documented the name of this town located in La Plana Baixa. On November, 28 th that year, it was stated that "Nullis cum suis terminis" were located within the limits of the diocese of Tortosa.

In 1238, the arabs from the Nules Castle- the current Vilavella- surrounded to Jaume I, and in 1251,on September 16th, the King ?The Conqueror? gave Nules Castle to a catalan nobleman named Guillem de Montcada. Three years later, Guillem de Montcada, in Onda?s Castle, authorized 37 settlers to found the town of Moncofa within the area of Nules Castle- during that period he had to authorize the foundation of the town of Nules to other settlers.

On August, 20th in 1273, Jaume I gave Guillem Ramon de Montcada, the privilege of bringing water from the Millars river to Nules Castle area. The use of this water enabled the transformation of wide areas in into fertile irrigated regions and consequently, the establishment of a large group of settlers.

October, 8th, 1316, King Jaume II confirmed the sale of Nules area and Castle that Ramon de Moncada had done to his son-in-law, Gilabert de Centelles.

Gilabert de Centelles, who is considered the founder of Nules, died during the military campaigns in Sardinia. While his son was a minor (1320-1326); wide Nules areas became fertile irrigated regions and consequently there was a demographic growth.

Due to the great influence of Gilabert de Centelles i Montcada onto Pere el Ceremoniós Court, the Lord of Nules received the monarch?s approval of the water?s rights and the Market?s holding as well as to have a pier in Nules beach and an annual two weeks fair.

Due to the war against Pere el Cruel de Castella and the great danger in which was immersed the region of La Plana , invaded by the Castilians, Pere el Ceremoniós authorised the fortification of Nules town in 1375.

During the time of Martí l?Humà, the town of Nules, was a refuge for the Centelles? group, for this reason, the king passed Nules to Royal jurisdiction although for a short time.

After King Martí?s death, the Centelles group supported the Castilian Ferran d?Antequera and the Lord of Nules led the troops, which in Morvedre?s batlle, defeat the Jaume d?Urgell supporters who were led by Valencia?s governor.
Once Ferran d?Antequera was elected king rose to the throne in ?el compromis de Casp? (period of time in which the throne remained without direct heirs and because of this historic event were linked crowns of Aragon and Castile) and the Lords of Nules increased their influence and their politic and economic power.

During the Germanies war, Nules was the headquarters of the Royal troops, but despite of being one of the most fortified towns in the area, the troops had to move to Borriana, because Nules didn?t have pits so it didn?t offer enough security.

In the mid-sixteenth century, the Council of the town of Nules, along with Moncofa, la Vilavella and Mascarell, towns within the Barony of Nules, initiated a lawsuit against the Earls of Oliva and Lords of Nules in order to be part of the royal jurisdiction; which was reached 24 September 1582 with the royal ruling issued by Philip II, in which Nules became a royal town and it was appointed a mayor and a royal judge who administered and held the civil and criminal power in the whole Barony.

With the expulsion of the Moors, the Barony of Nules lost almost a third of its population and Nules inhabitants and the new settlers had to deal with all the taxes. The losses caused by the expulsion of the Moors were the excuse to return the Barony to the jurisdiction of its ancient lords, with the title of Marquesado de Nules.

During the War of Spanish Succession, Nules was one of the few towns of the former Kingdom of Valencia which gave support to the French suitor and who support the occupation of the borbònic army; for this reason, Felipe V granted Nules town the titles of "Muy Leal and Fidelísima" and the privilege of adding to the arms of the town a lion in a white field, an S and L, and an ornament that says: ""La Fiel y Leal Villa de Nules " Although the document of this awarding is preserved in the Archives of Nules, the official shield that the town uses as its own since 1927, does not reflect faithfully such privilege.

In the War of Independence, Nules was assaulted by the troops of General Suchet, who left a French garrison in the former church of San Miguel (el Fort); fra Asensi Nebot, a guerrilla from Nules, whom the French called derogatorily with the name of La Fraila, played a vital role during the war. He was who presided at Castellón the oath of allegiance to the Constitution of 1812, and for this reason, years later, he was forced to exile to defend the constitutional freedoms against the absolutism of Ferran VII.

Until the nineteenth century, Nules received the water of the river Millars trough an irrigation channel shared with Borriana, which was a matter of constant clashes between the two towns. After long disputes, on 6 September 1878, the separation of the water was possible and Nules was authorized to build its own irrigation channel. This fact, the introduction of the first motor pumps, the fertilizer imports and the prospects for the export that opened the Transport Revolution facilitated the part of the town situated between the town centre and the mountains to turn out in orange fields, which opened new horizons for the industrial development of the town.

The Church?s archive preserves the Quinqui Libri serial almost complete, it also preserves most of the rational books as well as most of the notarial formalities saved in 1937.

The Archives of Nules keep a collection of documents on the life of the town since the mid-sixteenth century to the early twentieth century, which include sections of manuals about the Council, the water and records about reconstruction and demolition of walls.



Search form

Site developed with Drupal